Toy Design Project

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Craze toys

At the moment I'm looking into the history of past and current craze or trend toys. I found out at Wikipedia that the best word for my purpose is craze or fad and not trend or cult. Unfortunately I know of no translation of the word craze in Norwegian, so I'm not quite sure whether I should change the title of the project to craze-toys or not.

Anyway, the toy brands I'm looking into are Star Wars, Pokémon, Beyblade and warhammer. Star Wars because it was the first really big craze (at least in Europe); Pokémon because it was the first big craze for the kids today, and because it is a very interesting concept incorporating the collecting aspect very well; Beyblade because it is the successor to Pokémon, and because the concept combines a physical toy with cartoons (like transformers); Warhammer because it's so different yet still popular. It's not really a craze, but more of a cult-toy. It's not being advertised through any normal channel, it is instead dependent largely on word of mouth and activities within the stores. And because I find it so interesting I collect them myself...

For those that are unaware of what Warhammer is: it is a miniature tabletop wargame, where a player must buy, paint and collect an entire army of miniatures before he can actually play the game. I included a picture of one of my models. This is from the Sci-Fi version of the game, called Warhammer 40000. It is a Farseer of the Eldar, a kind of elf-general if you will.

Posted by Hello

Link

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home